“It is easy to be thankful for the good things in life”.
I have no idea whether I heard this or read it, so I can’t give credit. As I scrolled through all the Facebook posts about thankfulness, it got me thinking. Can I be thankful for the hardships in my life?
Let’s find out.
1) I am thankful for my parents divorce. It destroyed my faith, because it was weak. Since I drifted so far I now have no doubt that God is real, that He is good and He is trustworthy. For that rock I am very grateful.
2) I am thankful for my divorce. It helped me to better understand my mother and why she did what she did. I have been blessed to share this story to help other women see what abuse really is.
3) I am thankful for the day He brought me to my knees in repentance and tore the sinful heart from inside me. The pain and suffering of redemption and forgiveness is nothing in comparison to the pain I caused myself all those years.
4) I am grateful for the heartache of missing friends and family. This means I am capable of love. For many years I was so numb I felt no emotions except sadness.
5) I am thankful my Oregon family (The Macy’s). In their home God taught me unconditional love and what reliance on Him looked like. it was here I truly learned to live.
6) I am grateful for my family. In-spite of our brokenness, God is bringing us back together in a more healthy version.
7) I am grateful for my years of singleness (yes, this one is hard). In it God has changed my view of relationships and marriage. I have learned that physical attraction really doesn’t matter in the end. The spirit in my mate and how he treats me does.
I have always loved the song Hallelujah, but never really listened to the lyrics before. If you don’t have time to listen, at least read the lyrics. At the end it declares that love of God(paraphrasing here) is ” a cold and it’s a broken Hallelujah”.
So maybe God really doesn’t want our praise for the good things in our life. But He longs for us to praise Him for the hard times. For truly loving Him is is to see His hand in the hard times and praise Him as your heart breaks in two and the tears stream down your face.
What do you think about what God wants to hear?by